In this post I am going to share with you a list of 9 things you can include if you are having trouble retaining length or if you just want to grow long hair faster. I put together this list by experimenting on my own hair and observing the results but also by including some of the guidelines my hairstylist gave me.
- The first and most important tip is to properly clean you hair. Shampoo your hair only once a week, using a product that is appropriate for your type hair. Do not shampoo daily or every two days, because you will dry your hair out and cause breakage.
- Co-wash your hair every 2 or 3 days. You can even co wash daily if you sweet a lot, especially in the summer time. Co washing prevents hair issues like split ends and will keep your hair moisturized throughout the day. Some people actually recommend not to shampoo at all and use conditioner only. I personally like to use leave in conditioners.
- Use Aloe Vera Gel to hold your curls. It is much healthier and it has no alcohol while regular gel does. Make sure to check the ingredients list on the back of the package and choose products that don’t have to many chemicals.
- You can relax your hair every 2 months if you feel like it. I use to do it and it made my hair look better, shinier. I don’t really know if it has any influence on the growth rate but it definitely improved the texture and look.
- Protect your hair from heat. If you are using heating tools a lot you definitely need to use a heat protection product. Heat damages the surface of the hair, causing breakage. Even if you don’t use heating tools, hair can get damaged if you spend lots of times outside in the sun.
- Do not dye your hair. If you relax your hair, you should not dye your hair at all. That is one of the most important things that I have learned from my hair care journey. I experienced hair breakage before, because I had dyed my hair. So, if you can please no not dye your hair.
- Silk fusion. If you straighten you hair and it has become dull after a few day, just throw in some silk fusion and it will look great.
- Don’t pull your hair back. This is a very important thing, so please pay extra attention to this because I see a lot of girls that love to gel, and they love to slick back their hair and pull it as tight as they can. This is the biggest NO.
- Do not brush the front of your hair backwards really tight. That is how you get a lot of breakage. To flatten your hair out in the front sleep over night with your silk scarf on and that will keep your hair flat. You don’t have to put tons of products in your hair and pull it back really hard just to get it flat. I have seen women balding because of doing this. Keep the brush away from the front of your head.
Add these 9 advices to your hair care routine and I can guarantee that you will have better hair.